Librarian: Marge Peters
Office: SRC 3034
Phone: (630) 942-2337
Help With the Job Search, Resumes and Interviewing
Link to the Job Resources section for links to free internet sites for all phases of the job search.
Need help with writing your resume, preparing for the interview, or checking jobs posted with the Career Services Job Match System? Link to their website.
Download their excellent Job Search Guide.
Titles in College and Career Information Center
Paralegal Career Guide
Note this listing of law firms:
NALP Directory of Legal Employers
Titles in Reference:
Sullivan's Law Directory for the State of Illinois
Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
Favorite Overview Site
One of the most extensive lists of links for job searching available on the net. Includes much helpful advice in the introductory sections. Use “Job Banks & Recruiters” to find job-posting sites.
General Resources leads you to General & Recruiting Sites which lists the large Job Banks (Monster, Careerbuilder, Jobs.com, etc.). These are profiled in alphabetical order, with helpful hints on searching and privacy warnings as necessary.
Go down to Law, Government, Public Service, and Nonprofit Management > Lawyers and Other Legal Services
The “Paralegals” heading leads you to National Federation of Paralegal Associations.
Go to CLE on the heading Bar. Enter the NFPA Career Center. Click Job Seeker. You can Search Jobs, Post Resumes or Create a Job Agent. To Search Jobs, choose Paralegal/Legal Assistant from the job headings and choose the state and Metro area you want to be employed in.
Job Listing Site: Chicago Area
Many links to local Chicago job listing, career counseling, networking sites and more.
Try Job Leads by Field > Law & Law Enforcement > Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Click on Legal on the top bar, go to Legal Career Center on side, then click the link to the Career Center. Or skip the clicks and go to http://jobs.lawbulletin.com
Find wage data for over 700 occupations in a specific Illinois county or metropolitan statistical area organized by Standard Occupational Code. The Occupational Code for Paralegals is 23-2001
Instructions to help you find employer contacts using ReferenceUSA.
- Go to Library Home Page: http://www.cod.edu/library/. If coming from a home computer, have your Library Card ready to validate you as a Library patron.
- Click Databases on the green bar.
- Choose “Find a database by title”
- Go down to the R section and click on ReferenceUSA.
- When the database loads look for "Select a Database to Search” and drop down to U.S. Business.
- Click the Custom Search tab.
- Click checkmarks in the following three boxes. For Geographic area: Choose County, State or Phone: Area Code if you want a small geographic area. Choose MSA if you want to include the entire Chicago Region.:
- Click at the bottom:
- On the Search Form, type in the office type if interest. It might be family, criminal, civil, environmental, personal injury law attorneys. Then click Lookup.
- Boxes will appear with close and related yellow page headings. Click on any heading that interests you and it will become a search choice.
- Under Geography Selects, drop down to Illinois which will then bring up a list of counties to choose from. Click on counties that you are willing to travel to.
- Under Business Size, click on number of employees from 5-9 through 10,000+.
- Choose Search Now at bottom of screen and a results list matching your criteria will appear:
- Click on a company name of interest and you will see a lengthy report including address, phone number, website URL, number of employees, sales volume, names of managers, etc. You may print this information from the screen using the Print command or Checkmark companies of interest from the results list and Print. Be sure to request the Detailed print choice. You will be limited to 45 Prints or Downloads per search session.