History of the United States since 1865
Specialized reference works like the ones listed below are very useful for research. All of the titles here are located on the first floor of the Library. Browse around the same areas to find other useful titles.
For additional suggestions see the other research guides for American History.
- American National Biography
- Reference E 176 .A6
- Dictionary of American Biography
- Reference E 176 .D563
- Marquis Who's Who in American History
- Very extensive coverage, very basic information.
- National Cyclopedia of American Biography
- Reference E 176 .N28
- American Chronicle
- Reference E 169.1 .G664
- American Decades
- Reference E 169.12 .A419
- American Eras
- Reference E 178 .A59
- Discovering Collection
- Brief non-scholarly overviews.
- Great Events from History, American Series
- Reference E 178 .M22
- Great Events from History, North American Series
- Reference E 45 .G64
- Magill's History of North America
- Reference E 18 .M2 1988
- American Reconstruction
- Reference E668 .R53
- Civil Rights in the United States
- Reference E 184 .A1 C47
- Dictionary of American History
- Reference E 174 .D52
- Encyclopedia of American Cultural and Intellectual History
- Reference E 169.1 .E624
- Encyclopedia of American Social History
- Reference E 20 .E6
- Encyclopedia of the American Civil War
- Reference E 468 .E53
- Encyclopedia of the Confederacy
- Reference E 487 .E55
- Encyclopedia of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era
- Reference E 661 .E53
- Encyclopedia of the Great Depression and the New Deal
- Reference E 806 .C543
- Encyclopedia of the United States in the Nineteenth Century
- Reference E 169.1 .E626
- Encyclopedia of the United States in the Twentieth Century
- Reference E 740.7 .E53
- Encyclopedia of War and American Society
- Reference E 181 .E634
- International Encyclopedia of Women's Suffrage
- The United States in the First World War
- Reference D 510 .U65
Works in the General Collection
Search the Library Catalog to locate print and audio-visual materials.
Some suggested searches include searching by country. Of course you can substitute any of the individual states or regions that make up the United States. There are other subheadings that may be of interest too. If you are not finding what you are looking for, consult the history librarian (information below) or the Reference Desk.
- United States - History - [Time Period]
- United States - History - [Event], example United States History Civil War
- United States - Politics and Government - [Time Period]
- United States - Social Life and Customs - [Time Period]
- United States - Civilization - [Time Period]
- United States - Intellectual Life - [Time Period]
You can also search by topic. For example:
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)
- Women - United States - History
- World War, 1914 1918 United States
Books from Other Libraries
You have many choices for locating books not owned by College of DuPage.
You can of course check your local public library. Make sure the books are scholarly in nature.
You can also search World Cat. World Cat lists books from all over the United States. These books can be ordered via Inter Library Loan. While in the World Cat record just click on Find This! You will be able to search the C.O.D. Catalog and then fill out the Inter Library Loan request form if the item is not available from C.O.D.
We also have reciprocal borrowing arrangements with our four local liberal arts colleges: Wheaton, Elmhurst, Benedictine, and North Central.
The Library Catalog contains access to many eBooks. Use the same suggested searches above, but limit or modify your search to the location eBook or Reference eBook. These online books were chosen with the same care as other books in the collection. Some of the history databases also have books or parts of books in them. You may also want to check some of the titles on the Online Books page.
Ken Orenic, Reference Librarian